Social media and NFL news sites were buzzing after San Francisco 49ers linebacker Fred Warner hit Matthew Stafford following an interception in the first quarter, sending the Los Angeles Rams quarterback to the ground. Stafford complained to officials, but they never threw a flag. They probably should have.

Warner stepped up to the podium to speak with reporters after the 20-17 NFC Championship Game loss and immediately congratulated the division-rival Rams on the victory.

"I wanted to address my hit on Stafford early in the game after Jimmie's (Ward) interception," Warner added. "You guys have watched me for a long time. I'm never doing anything out of malicious intent. I watched the video. It really looks bad.

"There's a lot of things going on after the play. I was in pursuit of Jimmie, and he was just in my way. I made the hit, but obviously, looking back, I feel bad about it. You guys know that's not the type of player I am, so I wanted to apologize for that."

Warner said that he didn't have an opportunity to personally apologize to Stafford after the game because he didn't get a chance to see him. The star linebacker finished the game with 10 tackles and a pass defensed.